Jan 27, 2011

Pancakes and a starving toddler

I jumped out of bed this morning remembering we don't have anything quick for breakfast. Okay, so pancakes for the kids. I mix up the batter quickly and my husband asks for some eggs over-easy. Cool, I can do that. I cooked up the eggs first, since he had to leave to go to work, while my almost two year old is hugging the syrup and watching my every move in great anticipation. The eggs by the way turned out really well - not over cooked and not broken - success!

Then the thought occurred to me... why not whip up a bunch of pancake batter and keep it in the fridge?? I suppose you could do that with waffle batter, muffin batter, etc. What a wonderful idea, I thought, then I just have to wait for the griddle to heat up - no more starving kids and breakfast will be on time.

I did something different with my pancakes this morning and they were amazing! My some-of-the-time picky 6 year old ate three (when other days one will fill him up!). My usual pancake recipe calls for oil but I put in some of my homemade yogurt instead... the result was yummy creaminess. I bet it may be a little healthier as well.