Aug 28, 2009

Cook from scratch

I love to cook as many meals as I can from scratch. I try to always make my own bread, tortillas, dinner rolls... I make chicken pot pie, enchiladas, pizza, lasagna ...
I feel that when I make my family meals from scratch that they are getting more wholesome foods, less preservatives/sugars, and we are saving money by not buying prepackaged foods all the time.

I also try and cook/bake with whole wheat, whole grains and lots of vegetables - you can add more nutrients to your meals by putting fresh vegetables in a canned soup, blend them up and mix them into your spaghetti sauce or meatloaf... these are also great ways to get finicky eater to eat their vegis!

I make double batches of bread dough or pizza dough. I divide the dough into the correct portions and I freeze some of them so I don't have to mix up more the next time.

The next posting I'll add some dough recipes for all you bread lovers!