Aug 26, 2009

Your own recipe book

Do you have 10,000 cookbooks and are forever searching for that elusive recipe that you "know is in one of them"? I don't like searching for things. I bought a binder (2 or 2 1/2 inch) and plastic sheet protectors. I also found a recipe printout that I liked. I copied down all my favorites and put them into the plastic sheets (in groupings, like: chicken recipes, beef, pork, beans, breads, desserts etc.) Now, all my favorites are all together, within reach. Also, if I find a new recipe that we love its easy to add.

UPDATE: I've discovered that planing my meals is WAY easier if I planned them around the basic filler foods: Beans, Potatoes, Pasta, Rice and Whole grains. So I re-organized my homemade recipe book into these categories... of course I have one labeled desserts as well...
Now as I plan out my meals for the month, I just assign a filler food to a day of the week: Monday is Bean day - I can put the beans in water right after church on Sunday and leave them to soak all night. Tuesday is rice day - mostly because beans and rice go really well together. Put them in whatever order you prefer. Saturdays are leftover days (anything that doesn't get eaten gets tossed - makes it easy to know just how long that tuna noodle casserole has been in the fridge - since you know what day you made it) Also, Sundays are easy to make days, soup: salad, sandwiches etc.